Thursday, June 08, 2006

-2

[posted by bkmarcus]
We had our weekly visit to the OB this afternoon.

One thing that throws me off is how this man never seems to remember what he said to us a week earlier. I realize that he's probably seen a hundred patients between our last visit and the current one, but I still find myself thinking, "She was at 0, 0, and 50! How could you forget that?"

Some context: Nathalie was 50% effaced last week, as she still is. She was not at all dilated, and still isn't. But last week she was at 0 "station" meaning that the top of Benjamin's head was exactly snuggled into his mother's pelvis, no higher, no lower. This week, he's at -2 station, meaning he's retreated 2 centimeters.

I asked the doctor if he wanted to change his prediction of "late June" and he did: we're back to the original due date, July 8th.

Everything is "on target," which is good. Nathalie and Benjamin are exactly where they should be. (Unfortunately for Nathalie, some of "where she should be" is quite painful as her hips loosen in anticipation of the coming birth. )

Nathalie feels relieved that we're talking about a July delivery again. There's a lot less pressure with that extra week or two of preparation time.

Me? I'm ambivalent. I understand the relief, and I feel some of it, but mostly I'm impatient to meet my son. I feel as if a long-anticipated visit from a loved one has been postponed.

-papa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home