Sunday, November 18, 2007

why I need to trust the boy more

[posted by bkmarcus]
After I had posted his new words last night, Benjamin used a few more: the French word for turkey, both masculine and feminine, and both French and English words for juice.

Today, while I was raking leaves, Benjamin pointed to my rake and said balai (broom). He knows the correct French word, rateau, so his mother said, no you know what this is called. We both expected him to reply rateau, but he said "rake" in English.

And apparently, while mother and son were in the car this afternoon, Benjamin said, slowly, "Papa … rateaufeuilles. (Papa rake leaves.)
  1. rake
  2. placard (closet, cabinet)
  3. monsieur (sir, mister, man)
  4. bagel (pronounced more like "boggle")
Tonight's bath was an even more wonderful demonstration of Benjamin's growing ability to communicate. At first I ran it too cold, so I added some extra hot water before putting him in. Not only did Benjamin use yesterday's new word, "hot," but he was specific: "hot bath!"

About 10 minutes later, he stood up and wouldn't sit down again. I gave him to the count of 3 to sit down and when he didn't, I took him out of the bath, and explained that if he wanted to go back in, he'd have to sit down. He kept saying, "no." He didn't sound contrary, but he was definitely disagreeing with me about something. I tested our understanding by putting him back in the bath, telling him to sit, but he stiffened his legs and shook his head no, then looked at me and did the sign for "change" as in changing diapers. I didn't know what to make of that, so I just called his mother to bring a towel and retrieve him. The bath was over early. A minute later, as I was emptying the tub and putting away bath toys, I heard his mother call from the other room that Benjamin was peeing in his potty for the first time!

Sonofagun, so that's what he was trying to tell me. The boy needed to pee and he didn't want to do it in his bath.

(I should say that sitting on the potty and pretending to pee is a nightly routine before the bath, so he's familiar with the potty and associates it with at least saying "pee pee" but he's never actually peed in his potty before tonight.)

We were so proud. We did a big congratulatory ceremony of bringing the pot from his bedroom to the bathroom so we could pour it out and flush it for the first time.
- proud papa

Blogged with Flock

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home