Saturday, March 18, 2006

Baby prep in Cville

[posted by Nat]
At 24 weeks Benjamin is about a foot long and weighs 1 1/4 pounds. He's about the size of a pound of sugar, according to the iVillage pregnancy calendar. BabyCenter says that my uterus is about the size of a soccer ball (and to think I dreamt last night that I had a flat stomach and was wondering where the baby was...).

Last week was spring break and I was sure I would have time to make several posts. Wrong! We were incredibly busy during our week in Cville.

So what ate up all our break?
1) Meeting the OB we'll have for the delivery.

We were ushered into his office while he was with another patient, which gave us some time to look around and get a feel for the man. (As I write this, I'm getting little pops to left of my tummy, maybe Benjamin has the hiccups? or he's punching?)

Hanging in a corner near his desk there is a stuffed animal stork with a bag in its mouth (can't remember if we could see the baby in it) and on the shelves behind the desk were many books, but also lots of little OB-related figurines... like one of saint with a crucifix hanging off it (not sure which saint, but he was either holding a baby or holding a child's hand or both, I can't recall that detail either!). On the wall near the door are diplomas (all from southern schools) and certificates and a display case. On the display case more knick-knacks and... two Harley books! And in the case... old birthing tools. If you've ever seen Cronenberg's "Dead Ringers" this might give you a chill. I thought: either this guy is a bit of a sadist or he has a dark sense of humor. I can appreciate the latter, but I wonder what his other patients make of it. I guess it's good that he keeps his collection in his office (but what could he have at home?) so that his patients know he has it. And I suppose it's not unusual for doctors to collect antique tools of their trade -- helps to show how much things have evolved (or not).

I had no idea what to expect of the man -- after all, a saint on one shelf and Harley books on another. I think Brian was picturing a big guy because of the Harley stuff. Dr. W comes in and he is a small, slight man with longish hair. He reminds me a little of my pediatrician growing-up. He's soft spoken and listens well to my questions (though not so well to Brian's). One of the first things he says that somehow reassures me is that the day before he had delivered a baby in the office (that is, in the practice, in one of the examination rooms, I imagine!). A woman had come in fully dilated and he had decided there wasn't time to make to the hospital across the street. Perhaps this reassured me because this probably means the woman had no medical interventions -- no drugs and no c-section.

I asked him the usual questions, like what his c-section rate is: 13%. The national average is apparently now 39%!! He only performs 2 or 3 episiotomies a year, which surprised me because I know a lot of women who have had them.

Then I had to have a physical because I'm a new patient. I hate physicals (most people probably do), but at least it was very quick. He also measured my fundal height -- right on target at 22 cm (it should be 1 cm for each week of pregnancy). And we listened to Benjamin's heart beat, which the doctor said was 150 beats a minute (I think the average fetus ranges between 140 and 160 -- can't find the info on BabyCenter). The doppler he used was much cleared than the one in our doctor's office in PA.

So, what do I think? I think this doctor will be ok. I still wish I had a female doctor or a midwife, but the women OBs who deliver at our hospital are in rotating practices, so you don't know which doctor you will get when you deliver. This doctor is the one who will deliver Benjamin. And he works with a midwife. And once we are in Cville I will be seeing him every other week during May and then every week during June, so I'll get the opportunity to get more comfortable with him.

I guess I will have to continue the Cville spring break story in another post -- this one is already too long. Coming up soon(ish): (2) the doulas; (3) making modern art on the walls; (4) thumps and squirms.
-maman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home