Sunday, January 29, 2006

children's classics - online and off

[posted by bkmarcus]
One of the first things we did when we learned we were expecting the pumpkin was to visit the parenting section of the nearest big bookstore. This turns out to be a small wall of shelves in the children's books section. I grabbed a couple of books -- one on expectant fatherhood, the other on how to buy baby stuff less expensively -- and then quickly grew bored of the whole section and wandered into the children's area while maman-to-be sat down and went through one of the bigger books pretty thoroughly.

I discovered three things about children's books:
  1. they make great kid's books from non-paper materials (like a soft vinyl copy of One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish that you can take in the bath, plus plenty of soft cloth books that junior can't tear or ruin by chewing on the pages);
  2. they still have all the books I remember from childhood;
  3. it matters to me that our child have books from my childhood.

One of my favorite books was Clifford The Big Red Dog. They're producing some new books with Clifford, but it's the original I'm fond of. We bought a copy for a friend of ours who is recently a new mom.


Another favorite is Are You My Mother. We got a cloth version of that one for another friend of ours who is also a new mother. (Yes, it seems that every woman we know is either a new mother, newly expecting, or trying to become newly expecting.)

Meanwhile, for prenatal story time, I've now read Wizard of Oz and Alice In Wonderland to Nathalie's roundening belly.

What to read next? We'll eventually get to the Oz and Alice sequels, but I want to read something new first. Something old to the world but new to us. I think I might do the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. You'll notice that last link takes you to Project Gutenberg. Another source for electronic copy of classic literature is just across town from our house: University of Virginia's Electronic Text Center. I mention this because our prenatal reading is all of electronic text. In the position we've come up with that allows both maman and papa to be relatively comfortable while papa's mouth is up against the curve beneath maman's belly button, papa only has one hand free. Paper books just won't do. But a laptop only requires one finger to progress through a book as I read from the screen.

So here are my two requests for your input:
  1. What childhood classics (where classics needn't be older than the 1970s) do you recommend we make sure are in the pumpkin's library? I'm talking physical books here, whether paper, cardboard, vinyl, or cloth.
  2. What childhood classics (where classics probably means out-of-copyright in this case) do you know are available in electronic text? Adobe PDF files, HTML, plain text -- those are our formats.
I welcome your input and I thank you for your recommendations, suggestions, or advice.

- papa

3 Comments:

Blogger feecaro said...

Baby books that we are enjoying (hopefully Sam too, though she's still not terribly interested in books):

Goodnight Moon
The Runaway Bunny
Owl Babies
Are You My Mother? (Thanks!)
In the Garden with Van Gogh

Books I remember from my childhood:
Go Dog Go!
Green Eggs and Ham
The Cat in the Hat
The Giving Tree
Alexander and the No Good, Horrible, Very Bad Day
James and the Giant Peach
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

As for online texts, check out
http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/
for fairy tales (including ones by Perrault and Hans Christian Anderson as well as Grimm).

9:13 AM  
Blogger anfernyjohnsun said...

Much of my childhood was something I'd not care to remember except for when my grandmother would read to me from Uncle Wiggly.

She also would read from a large illustrated copy of the Grimm Bros. tales and one of those old books, with strange plastic pages gave the impression of being 3-D, of the Pinocchio story.

My grandmother reading to me is one of the sweetest memories I have.

3:08 PM  
Blogger - caj said...

Well, what do you mean by classics? Most of my favorite books from childhood are rather obscure. Also, they're not beginner readers. Are you looking for that? Maybe not since you're reading Carroll.

This may be terribly old fashioned, but keep in mind that your public library probably has oodles and oodles of children's books from the past 50 years in its children's section. I know it's not electronics, but if you're looking for stuff from your dimly remembered infancy and you don't want to buy, Mr. Franklin's lending barn may be an option.

That said, I'll just give you a list of books from my childhood (the last time I was a big reader) and you can sort out age appropriateness for yourself. 'Kay?:

Green Eggs and Ham
The Cat in the Hat
Tom Sawyer
A Wrinkle in Time
Mr. Popper's Penguins (Yeah !!!)
Jenny and the Cat Club (Delightful !!!)
Amelia Bedelia
Anything by Ezra Jack Keats ...
... A Snowy Day
... Hi, Cat!
... Whistle for Willie
... John Henry, etc.
Curious George
Around the World in 80 Days

Now, I didn't read these, but you might look into the French versions of Madelaine, Tin Tin, and Asterix (Of course!)

Have you read Harriet the Spy? I haven't but I know a lot of friends for whom it was a childhood favorite.

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home